Its really nice to see your posts again GM. I had started to miss them.....thanks.
Printable View
Its really nice to see your posts again GM. I had started to miss them.....thanks.
Ok, weather's cold and I've got some 1.5" MDF (or HDF?) that I've been playing with.
GM, can you clarify something for me?
...by this, are we attempting to match the area alone, or also the volume represented?
Area alone:
Slot:
~28" x 1" = 28"^2
Round: (6" dia. pvc)
3 * 3 * 3.14 = 28.26"^2
So yes, agreed if matching the area.
But maybe we're also/instead talking about volume... as what I am seeing is that I am getting similar results (down to low 30's) with 2 x 3" ports.
Vol:
Slot: (5/8" = .625")
~28" * 1" * .625" = 17.5"^3
Round (2 ports): (3" dia. pvc)
(((1.5 * 1.5 * 3.14) * 1.5")) * 2 ports = ~21.2"^3
Round (3 ports): (3" dia. pvc)
(((1.5 * 1.5 * 3.14) * 1.5")) * 3 ports = ~31.8"^3
The 3 port option was similar, but not quite as good as the 2 port option. I will have to post the impedance sweeps.
To that end, I had a concept earlier of how to read the impedance sweep, (first peak larger = ___________ , second peak larger = ____________ ), but I've now forgotten and can't relocate the source info.
Anyone have a description of what to expect in a BR in this sense? e.g. (first peak larger = need more port length)
My assumed goal is to get the two impedance peaks to arrive at a like level.
As GM informed me, if the target tuning is Fs, then the old saying is true: "first hump bigger = port too large, second hump bigger = port too small". But apparently if you aren't tuning for Fs, then that doesn't hold true and you'll need a consultation with the GM guru. :)
Also should the port never exceed the piston Dia? which is 122 sq in.
Great to hear that you seem to be in the "home stretch" with your restoration. Please post some pics when you're done and let us know what drivers you end up using/how they sound/etc......
Me? Hah. no restoration. Just continuous tinkering. :-)